During my childhood days, the concept of activity classes barely existed. We had to scour several newspapers and pamphlets to find a hobby class after school or during vacations. We would be lucky if we could find something and luckier if our parents would agree to send us there. So, the only option we had is free play by ourselves or with friends and cousins.
Today, there is no such situation. There are ample activity classes available at every nook and corner of the city. And, how can we forget the online classes that have mushroomed everywhere and give you access to the best activities from anywhere in the world?
Given that many child experts advise free play for children, it is understandable you are confused about whether you should enrol your children in any activity class. Well, here are some pointers to help you decide.
- Free play gives your children complete freedom to play the way they want.
- There are no guidelines or structures they need to follow.
- It unleashes their creativity as they find innovative ways to engage themselves.
- It improves their confidence and independence.
- Free play requires adult supervision.
- Children may soon get bored from free play.
- Children may get in conflict with others as there are no pre-defined rules.
- Activity classes follow a structured curriculum and different themes.
- There are expert instructors to engage your children.
- Activity classes are beneficial when your children need help to meet specific developmental milestones.
- They also help your children to acquire new skills.
- Children learn to become comfortable in social settings.
- Children can make new friends.
- You get a few hours of relief from parenting duty.
- You have to pay a fee for the classes.
- The timing or location of the classes may not be convenient for your children.
- The classes run for only a few days a week or a limited period.
- Your child may not get enough time or attention to explore things naturally.
As you can understand, both free play and activity classes have their pros and cons. The crux here is that both are important for your children. You can enrol your children in an activity class that runs for only 30-60 minutes every day or a few times a week. That way, your children will also get sufficient time for free play.
Click here to browse through activity classes in Pune.