For some students exams are very easy and they could ace an exam with their closed eyes. For others, it is very stressful and difficult to manage. It is very important to deal with this stress. Exam stress affects students in different ways.
Here are some tips which can help you to deal with stress.
- Regular breaks: Spending a little time away from the books will make you feel refreshed. Our brain can only focus on one task effectively for about 45 minutes. So, take frequent breaks after every 45 to 50 minutes. It helps us to be as productive as possible.
- Get enough sleep: If you don’t get full night rest and enough sleep, it creates fatigue, stress, and anxiety. Make a proper routine and follow it every night. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Make sure you get enough sleep in order to feel refreshed in the morning.
- Go outdoor: One more way to reduce the stress level is to increase exposure to sunlight. When you take a break after every 45 minutes, you can go out for a walk in sunlight for 10 to 15 minutes. Walking gives you time to think and also time to get away from studying for a short while. This will easily boost your mood and energy.
- Exercise: Regular exercise can relieve exam stress. So, if you find yourself nervous before an exam, go for a run, do yoga, meditate or do any kind of exercise. Do exercise which is enjoyable for you. This reduces stress level and boost your energy level.
- Talk to someone:
If the stress is affecting your study and day to day life, try and speak to someone about it. By talking with someone, you might get some relief and get an advice on how to manage the stress. You can talk to a friend, a family member or a counselor in your school/college.
- Avoid other stressed people:
While preparing for exams, try not to discuss and revise with other fellow students who are already in stress. Chances are it will only stress you out.
- Stay hydrated:
Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Not drinking enough water can make you feel stressed. A cup of herbal tea or hot chocolate can help you feel more relaxed and stay hydrated.
- Eat healthy food: You are what you eat. If you eat unhealthy food, it makes you feel negative and it impacts your exam preparation. So, it is very important to eat healthy food in your exam periods to feel fresh, energize and to deal with stress level. Eat nuts, fruits and vegetables in between short breaks. Avoid processed food and too much sugar.
- Reward yourself: If you feel stressed in between study time in exam period, be sure to reward yourself for your achievement no matter how small. For example, reading a chapter, completing an assignment. Acknowledge these achievements and treat yourself. Be kind to yourself.
- Keep your study room clean: A cluttered room is a sign of cluttered mind. The more clutter you have around your study area, the less you are able to concentrate on your studies. You get distracted by the clutter around you which impairs your ability to think and leads to stress. So clean your study room and desk if you want to concentrate on preparing for the exam.
All the tips mentioned above will definitely enable you to beat exam stress. So, share it with other students who are also facing exam stress because if you are feeling stressed about exams, you are not alone and it’s never too late to set up good habits.